I tell you, this baby business is something. I've been a pretty absent blogger for two major reasons.
1) I am too damn tired to blog. I have NEVER in my life been so tired. I miss the person I used to be.
2) It's really hard to blog without telling you that I am pregnant because my pregnancy does play a pretty big role in the events of my day to day life. Let me give you an example about my most recent blog post.
I mentioned that we spent the fourth of July weekend with Matt's parents. We found out we were pregnant on July 3rd. We went ahead and told them that night. They were so excited. We shocked them for sure.
| The Day I Found Out I was Going to be a Mom |
In the post I discussed the day I spent with my mom and saw the Little Mermaid. What I couldn't say at the time was that it was the day that I told my mom I was going to have a baby and her too perfect reaction.
At Love and Sarah's wedding it was the first major event we had. No one knew I was pregnant until later in the weekend... and my "Vodka Tonics with Lime" (minus the vodka) didn't fool many people.
And that girl's weekend in Dallas? I was such a downer. I couldn't drink (obviously) and I was so tired and suffering from food aversions. What a mess. It was still fun but I felt bad about not being my chipper self.
Then the weekend we went to see my parents (hay harvesting weekend) was entirely built around getting to tell my dad the news in person. An unforgettable moment in my life.
My birthday was a nice, yet sleepy event. And the windy roads of the mountain town were throwing me for a loop the whole time. Yuck.
And then our wonderful friends came to see us and once again I was so tired. And I don't mean like sleepy. I mean like sleep 10 hours and still feel like you've pulled an all-nighter studying for that test that you MUST get an A on to keep your GPA up. I once again felt bad for not being a ball of energy.
But like I said, this baby business is really something. How do you know when to tell people? At our eight week appointment we heard the heart beat and even saw it flicker on the ultrasound (another magical unforgettable moment in my life) our doctor (who I love-- and I am extremely hard to please) told us she would give our pregnancy a 95% chance of viability. But then you hear to wait until the 12 week mark to be really safe. Basically, at the end of the day the worst thing you can imagine as a pregnant person (and spouse) is first losing your baby but second having to tell everyone especially the entire internet that it didn't work out. Now as I say this, let me say that I have no judgment of those who decide to tell people early. It's your news and you should do what you want. And if you end up reporting that it didn't work out I still don't have judgment, just a prayer for your healing heart during such a difficult time.
My strategy so far has been to first tell our parents and grandparents. Then as I have spent time with friends in person if there is alcohol at the event I basically just don't even try to fake the whole thing. The jig is up! We're pregnant! It turns out we find ourselves in LOTS of alcohol-related settings. Especially considering it's the summer. The good news for me is that I don't crave alcohol at all. A lot of this already feels like a hangover so the thought of something that would contribute to a hangover is utterly repulsive. Note: I don't typically "crave" alcohol, but if we are in a social setting and there's wine, sure, I'll have a glass.
On Thursday we had an ultrasound with what I can only describe as a super computer. Our baby actually looked like a baby. It was moving and flipping around and rubbed its face and opened it's mouth. It was the most incredible thing I have ever witnessed. My little human was in there doing all that. Man oh man.
At that point we decided to tell the world...which means we put it on Facebook. We had a really wonderful out pour of kindness and love. Sometimes I wonder about the role of social media in our lives and whether or not that's ultimately positive or negative. Well in this instance, it was really heartwarming to see how many people were happy for us and this big news. There's so many ways to tell it, but now that you know it I ask that you pray for the continued growth and healthy development of our little one.






1 comments:
Shannita, love reading your thoughts and emotions...this is a particularly blessed period in your life and you and life as you knew it will never be the same. I am so delighted for your and hope that you experience every (waking) moment to the maximum. Love from your Tica mom.
Post a Comment
Feel free to leave a comment! I love reading your thoughts even more than you love reading mine!