Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

You always know what time of year it is on Facebook. It's Christmas, Finals Week, Spring Break, and lately, Memorial Day Weekend. Everyone has a status update about where they are going to go for the first 3 day weekend of good weather. I think that's great. Everyone should have a mini-vacation. However, I hope that we're all remembering and taking time to reflect on the real reason why we're getting this 3 day weekend. It's a day to remember those men and women who died in military service.
My grandpa, who served in the army and fought in the Korean and Vietnam wars. In 2001, he died on memorial day, partially due to the effect that Agent Orange exposure had on his body and the way he was able to handle medication. Every year, when memorial day comes along, I think about him and say a prayer. I miss him and appreciate him for his never failing love as well as his service. He was a true model of a Godly man. He practiced patience in a manner that I doubt I will ever master. It is likely that Joe (my little brother) will be the first male in my family to not serve in the military, and I have to say that makes me very happy. I believe it is courageous to be in the military, but if he enlisted I would constantly be filled with worry for him. I suppose I am selfish like that. But, knowing Joe and the man he is shaping to be (he is extremely like my Grandpa), if he was presented with something he believed in fighting for, he would step up too.
I hope that everyone has a great weekend, I just also hope that we take a moment of silence to remember those who fell in service to our freedom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I love reading your thoughts even more than you love reading mine!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More