Monday, August 13, 2012

The Pioneer Voyage



Every decade or so, I believe that one should ask for a bike for their birthday. I have wanted a cruiser bike for years. Do you see the basket? Do you? When I picked out this bike a couple months ago, I pictured Matt and I riding bikes over to the farmer's market (which is conveniently within biking distance of our new home). I would put all of my local goods in the basket. I would smile and be so green for a Saturday morning. These are the things an environment scientist dreams of. Well, this one anyway. I asked my parents to get one for me for my birthday. With surprisingly little reluctance, they agreed!

This morning I got up and ran to the chiropractor and even made my appointment nice and early so it would still be cool in the morning (well, relatively cool) when I got back so I could ride my cute new blue bike. I got my bottle of water (do you see the cup holder?!), my tunes ready, and put the garage opener in the basket. I listened to some good folk tunes on the way, thinking about how blessed this experience and how much I am enjoying the exercise.



Now if you see above (thank you city of Edmond for providing a map for my blogging purposes), I started at the green X. Between green X and red X I was nothing but happiness. At red X, there is this little center where you can use these machines and do some toning. It was really more like an adult playground. I probably looked ridiculous, but I totally enjoyed it for about 10 minutes. So then I go to get back on my bike and finish up my ride. Why does my bike feel funny? It's making a strange sound in the font tire. WHAT??!? Flat tire? Pioneer voyage?? How! Apparently such a thing exists as tiny thumbtack shaped rocks and there were 2 in my front tire.

So now we walk. I have to get back to green x. I just smiled when I passed people like it was perfectly normal that I was walking with my bike. After about half a mile or so, I realized that my tire is now trying to come off the rim of the wheel. Is there a solution for this? I almost abandoned ship right there.  But, I pull over with all of my confidence and try to shove the tire back on the rim. and then push the bike with as little pressure on the front wheel as possible. I am sure I looked like a real winner.

I continue along and at purple x this guy drives by on a gator (he works for the park). He asks me if I need help. I politely decline, telling him I appreciate him stopping. He tells me that about 100 yards from red x, there was an office for the park (I noticed along the way) and if I would have stopped there, they  have an air compressor and the tools for such occasions. Good to know.

It wasn't quite the serene ride that I thought it was going to be. I was looking for a workout, but this isn't quite what I bargained for. What I did learn, is that if you are looking for some extra resistance on a speed walk, just drag a bike with you and you'll get all you need. But if your ego has any sensitivities, I wouldn't recommend it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I love reading your thoughts even more than you love reading mine!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More