Monday, September 9, 2013

Up in the Air

From Aug 29-Oct 9 I will have flown:

LBB-HOU HOU-LBB
LBB-PDX PDX-OKC OKC-LBB
LBB-OKC OKC LBB
LBB-MSY MSY-LBB
OKC-BNA BNA-OKC

I am becoming fluent in airport code and my geography knowledge is improving. As an undergrad I worked for a travel agency (despite my poor geography skills...). I still think that was the most fun job I ever had and I learned so much about booking travel. I would say that I fly about 15 times a year. I also dislike flying. It's not so much the flying itself but the airport experience.  The meticulous packing (because I don't want to pay to check bags), the removal of the laptop (what could possibly be in my computer?), the X-Ray (are you sure this isn't bad for me?), the going to second base with the TSA officer (who knew you couldn't wear sequined shirts?), and the waiting paired with powering up and down with all those electronic devices (besides, Mythbusters said that was a myth anyway). I am actually hand writing this draft to pass time until we reach 10,000 ft. I am also thinking about how miserable I am going to be for the 41 minutes of flight time (I didn't say I flew far) because Matt (I am sure in an action of love) put my ear buds on my night stand instead of back in my iPad case. Now I'll have to listen to the sweet sounds of "business or pleasure" chatter while I delve into the book for the book club I started (because I have so much free time). 

I'm getting to the point where I bought one of these:

I got it at Goodwill for $7.99. It's Samsonite. I looked it up on Amazon and it goes for close to $80. Count it! I glides effortlessly. I fits in the overhead bin. It has room for an overnight set of clothes (shoes included!) It holds my laptop or articles for me to read on the plane as I rush to class (I tend to cut things too close). It was appropriate to tell you the brand not because I am a name dropper, but because I think it makes me more respectable to real travelers (like my father-in-law or my friend Scott). 

What is the point of this post, Shanna? Are you bragging about all of the frequent flyer miles you're racking up?

First, the distance to Lubbock is 400 miles each way so I don't think there is any priority status in my foreseeable future. These planes don't even HAVE first class. Sometimes they do have propellers though. 

Next, this is even lower than boasting. This is whining. Despite how much I love to travel (and you know I do), I'm really just grumpy about getting up at 5:45 a.m. after less than 36 hours home in 2 weeks to jump on a plane back to the grind. The reality is that I am completely blessed and appreciate all that I have.
I just miss my hubby. And my dog. And my house. And my bed. And my friends and family. Come December... well not December... come February after I have taken my comps (and by the grace of God, passed)  I will be a happy camper. I'm happy now, but I'll be SOOO happy. SO. so. sO. 

Can't wait. Til then, more adventures and misadventures to come. 
Happy Monday. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I love reading your thoughts even more than you love reading mine!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More