I bet you're assuming that I'm referring to all of my athletic achievements. My shelf of pride of little figurines representing my winnings. Well no, but I appreciate your faith. I am referring to my books.
I LOVE to buy used books. It's one of my simple pleasures in life. Amazon.com is by far my favorite website. I love that buying a used book is a form of recycling AND you save money. DIVINE! I have also had a lot of success selling my textbooks on there and avoid having the bookstore take advantage of me.The CEO of the MET recycling in Tulsa said at a conference "If you want to support recycling, buy recycled products". Well the books I buy usually aren't made out of recycled material, but I try to make it a practice to buy things in their second or third life if I can.
However much I love recycling, I could not ever ever sell my books that I have read. It's not really that I believe I will read them again ( but who knows?)- but they're like my little trophies. I completed that book. All of the knowledge that that book has to offer, is now in my head. I think a person's book collection says a lot about them. Now I'm not saying that I'm scouting out 1st edition classic literary works so that I look more intellgient. You can just tell by someone's books what their passions are. What their sense of humor may be.

Right now I am reading "The Blind Side". I loved the movie! It's safe to say that it was my favorite movie of 2009. The book has been a slow endeavor because I feel like if I have time to read, I probably have time to do my homework.
I really do like this book, but unlike the movie, the book has the prerequisite of knowing SOME THING about football, which I really don't. I don't really understand what a lineman does. I've been to lots of football games, but it's really just a social ritual for me.
I have a policy that I NEVER read the book before the movie because then the movie is a total let down and I would like to enjoy both. Well in the case of the Blindside, the book is so much less flowery than the movie ( and as I understand it, a truer version of the reality of the "true story")
Either way, I think it's a worth while read. I just purchased (on Amazon!) the book "My Footbrint, Carrying the Weight of the World" by Jeff Garlin. It's supposed to be about his journey to lower his carbon footprint while trying to lose weight. I will let you know how it goes. In the mean time, I will finish "The Blind Side" and add it to my trophy collection.





0 comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to leave a comment! I love reading your thoughts even more than you love reading mine!